- Draw the shape of a feather (or leaf) onto tracing paper (or copy from a template). Pin the
tracing paper onto the felt and cut out the feather shape. Repeat with different colours of felt and
sizes of feathers.
- Fold each of the feathers in half along their stem and lightly press with an iron (not too hot or
the felt will start to melt).
- Thread three bells onto the end of a long piece of twine and tie and knot the twine tightly
around the quills of the bunch of feathers. Cut off the short end of the twine close to the knot, or,
if this piece of twine is long enough, you can attach another bell to the end with a knot (as done
- Allow about 40cm of twine to hang the toy and then place enough glue on the outside of the
wooden dowel that you want to wrap the twine around. Wrap the twine around the dowel and tie
off at the end and cut the twine close to the knot.
* If you do not wish to use glue, the toys can still be made by tying the twine/string securely to the
feathers and again on the wooden dowel.
Please make sure you supervise your cat at playtime with your toys as some parts may come loose and you don’t want your kitty ingesting bells and pieces.