How you can put animal welfare first today
- Back a winner and Bet on Betty. Ex racehorse Betty and her foal are currently in RSPCA care. She had horrific injuries and was unwanted. You can support her and horses just like her in our care. Read her story and make a donation
- Host your own fundraiser, we all love a party, just support rescue animals instead!
- Take a stand and voice your concerns about current practices in the racing industry. You can also sign our petition to end the use of whips in racing
- Get social! Share your thoughts with friends, workmates and family. Use hashtags to be a voice for animals: #BetsforBetty #WinnersWithoutWhips #LovePartiesHateWhips
- If you see animal welfare concerns, report it. Call our 24/7 hotline 1300 ANIMAL.
- Become a foster carer for horses! If you have the right property, we’d love to hear from you. Sign up to foster a horse today.
Melbourne Cup - Did you know?
- In 2013, Verema broke her leg mid race and was euthanased on the track.
- In 2014, two horses died after racing in the Cup. Admire Rakti died of heart failure in his stall after the race; and Araldo broke his leg and had to be euthanised after being scared by a flag in the crowd.
- In 2015, Red Cadeaux did not finish after injuring his fetlock in the race, and was euthanased two weeks later.
But while much attention is focused on these catastrophic events, the welfare problems of horse racing run much deeper.