- Providing a balanced diet suitable for your pet’s age, breed and health status
- Using feeding as an opportunity for enrichment e.g. puzzle feeders!
- Making sure they always have access to clean, fresh water
- Creating a safe, comfortable and stimulating living space with:
- Adequate space and freedom of choice
- Opportunities for your pet to do the things they love, like being active!
- Private places where they can retreat and a cosy sleeping area
- Be aware of potential environmental stressors like loud noises, unpleasant smells, temperature variations and other animals
- Keeping them up to date with preventative health care (e.g. parasite control, vaccinations) and routine veterinary care. Being aware of any signs of illness or injury and seeking veterinary care ASAP if you notice anything out of the ordinary about them!
- Providing them with opportunities to play, socialise and explore e.g. toys and scratching posts
- Making sure they have choice and control over what they do and who they spend time with (as long as it’s safe!)
- Spending quality time with them every day to help strengthen your bond
- Using reward-based training techniques to reinforce good behaviour and discourage undesirable behaviours
- Protecting them from situations where they might become scared, frustrated or distressed
- Doing your best to ensure they get all the love, care, understanding and companionship they need to live their healthiest and happiest life!