Ehrlichiosis was found for the first time in an Australian dog in the Kimberley region in mid-2020. Since then, it has spread around the country and is now found in most states and territories. It can result in death if not properly treated and in very rare cases, infected ticks may infect people. Dogs become infected with the bacteria known as Ehrichia canis after being bitten by an infected brown dog tick.
This type of tick is widely distributed worldwide and is present in Australia. Once the disease is in the brown dog tick population it is very difficult to control, especially in tropical and subtropical regions.
A dog in Horsham has tested positive for ehrlichiosis making it the first detection of this disease for an Australian-born dog in Victoria. The infected dog came from the Northern Territory where the disease is established.