25,352 wildlife friends are presented to the RSPCA Qld Wildlife Hospital every year, and that amount is growing by approximately 4,000 a year. We would love to make that 0.
While all incoming wild animals receive a complete veterinary diagnostic assessment and prognosis to help ensure that those returned to the wild can survive and thrive, this is not sustainable at the growing intake rate. To allow our dedicated Wildlife Nurses, Carers and Volunteers to continue to protect all creatures great and small, injury prevention is key - and that starts with us as responsible pet owners and members of the community!
Did you know there are many simple ways you can minimise your impact on our native wild friends?
Follow the 3 simple steps below and start saving lives!
Understand how you can minimise your impact (and your pet's impact) on our native wild friends.
- It really is as easy as ABC. Download our Factsheet for some helpful tips on how you can prepare your Animals, Backyard and Car to live harmoniously with wildlife - download PDF factsheet
Keep your cat indoors, out of harms way.
- Cats can be happy indoors, if they have enough enrichment. Read through our top feline enrichment ideas – download PDF factsheet
Encourage your children or students to live harmoniously with wildlife.
Fostering an interest and respect for nature is a great way to encourage children to live harmoniously with wildlife. The following exercises will not only keep the kids entertained, but will also teach them some valuable lessons along the way!
- Wildlife find-a-word (ages 8-12) - download PDF
- Wildlife crossword (ages 8-12) - download PDF
- Wildlife find-a-word (ages 13+) - download PDF
- Wildlife crossword (ages 13+) - download PDF
- Wildlife colour in activities - download activity 1 | download activity 2
Click here to learn more about endangered species in Queensland and their home ranges.
Learn what to do when you find injured wildlife.
Please visit our wildlife care tips page for information on what to do when you encounter wildlife in need of assistance.
Tip: Find out how to build possum nesting boxes, creating a cosy home for possums can encourage them out of unwanted places like your roof.