Peta the possum was admitted to the RSPCA Wildlife Hospital with her baby. Both had suffered from suspected rat bait poisoning.

“We found she was very anaemic ... and her body was bruising very easily which is indicative of toxicity in the body,” Wildlife Veterinarian Rebecca Millers said.

The baby possum was also exhibiting similar signs of poisoning and Dr Millers suspected rat bait was the cause.

Dr Millers said it was unlikely the adult possum would have survived if not for a 30ml blood transfusion from another possum. Read the full article here.

It’s a timely reminder for homeowners to be cautious in how they are baiting for pests at their residence. Read more here on humane pest control methods.

Have you seen a sick or injured animal? Contact our 24/7 Animal Emergency Hotline 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625).