What to expect
This rewarding volunteer role would suit applicants who are passionate about Australia’s native wildlife and are committed to improving their welfare; people who wish to experience hands-on work with native animals and want to learn about the care and health requirements for future work in the industry. This is a great opportunity for people who want to help the RSPCA rehabilitate animals and send them back to their natural habitat. You will be outside in winter and summer weather and sometimes driving in the challenging conditions Queensland can offer, but the reward is knowing you are making a difference to the quality of life of all the native animals in our care. Applicants must be over 25 years old.
What are the benefits?
- Opportunity to gain new skills and learn about our Australian wildlife
- Increased awareness of our native wildlife and the issues they face
- Native animal handling and identification skills
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
The position involves transporting wildlife patients as required and includes:
- Significant driving around the greater Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine coast area, using an RSPCA vehicle.
- Collecting and transporting animals from vet clinics back to the Wacol wildlife hospital, or delivering animals to vet clinics for collection by carers.
- Attempting to reunite baby birds with their parents.
- Releasing a variety of birds, reptiles and wildlife into their natural habitat post treatment.
- Liaising with registered wildlife carers and delivering animals along with the relevant paperwork and medications to them.
- Delivering specimens and paperwork as required to the Queensland Biosecurity department.
- Educating members of the public about wildlife species when releasing them or when generally interacting with the public at the wildlife hospital.
- In between driving jobs if required, assist with sweeping and mopping floors, removing rubbish, washing animals’ water and food bowls, replacing food and water.
- Grocery shopping for the hospital, collecting prescriptions and hospital pick ups
- Transferring animals between Currumbin Wildlife Hospital, Australia Zoo and the RSPCA Wildlife Hospital
- Communication with RSPCA Wildlife Hospital Staff
- Taking bins full of soiled linen/towels/bedding to the laundry and collecting clean bedding/towels etc to take back to the hospital.
- Undertake general laundry duties as part of each shift, including loading dirty laundry into the machines, loading and/or taking clean washing out of the dryers, and folding all clean items.
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Applicants must be over 25 years old
- Confidence in working with a variety of animals, including reptiles
- Willingness to learn, wildlife knowledge or experience an advantage
- A clean manual open driver’s licence is required, and the ability to use GPS to navigate to unfamiliar places
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and comfortable in a wide variety of outdoor situations
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Able to be flexible and adaptable
- Excellent communication skills
When can I volunteer?
- We have various vacancies Monday to Sunday 8am-12pm, 10-2pm, 12pm-4pm or 4pm - 8pm
*Urgently Required: Wednesday 8am - 12pm or 12pm - 4pm*
- Please be aware that due to the nature of this role we ask you to be flexible to an extent with your shift time – it can be difficult to judge the length of a particular trip due to changeable traffic or weather conditions
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months. Orientation and animal training will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9915 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or APPLY NOW below. Applicants must be over 25 years old.APPLY NOW