What to expect
This rewarding volunteer driver role would suit applicants who are passionate about animals and are committed to improving their welfare; who have great people skills and have some animal handling experience. In this role you will be required to drive an RSPCA vehicle between the Wacol Animal Care Campus and other shelters, rescue groups and councils in the South East Queensland pocket to transfer animals between these sites.
In addition to animal transport, you will be required to undertake property checks. A property check is required in some instances as part of the RSPCA adoption process, in which case you will visit the property of the people who want to adopt the animal and ensure it’s suitable for the animal eg fencing, space, safety etc. This role requires the volunteer to have initiative and common sense as you are responsible for the safe transport of animals as well as representing the RSPCA to the general public.
What are the benefits?
- Opportunity to improve your animal handling skills
- Knowing you are making a difference to the quality of life of the shelter animals
- Gaining an understanding of RSPCA shelter operations
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
The position involves transporting animals as required and undertaking property checks:
- Significant driving around the greater Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine coast area, using an RSPCA vehicle to transport animals between facilities, or deliver them to other organisations.
- Visiting properties of members of the public who wish to adopt an animal and a property check is required
- Undertaking a property check to ensure suitability for the animal being adopted eg fencing, space, safety etc
- Liaising with the property owners to ensure they understand the outcomes of the property check and whether any remedial action is required
- Reporting back the outcomes of the property check to the RSPCA
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Applicants must hold a current driver’s licence
- Applicants must have a mobile phone and know how to use it
- Sound driving ability, confident in heavy traffic and all weather conditions
- Confidence in handling a variety of animals
- Great people and communication skills, courteous and considerate
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and comfortable in a wide variety of outdoor situations
- Common sense and the ability to work autonomously and make decisions
- Able to be flexible and adaptable
- Be able or willing to learn how to tow an 8 berth trailer ( we will provide training)
When can I volunteer?
- Thursday, Saturday and Sunday between the hours of ~8am and 3pm.
- Please be aware that due to the nature of this role we ask you to be flexible to an extent with your shift time – it can be difficult to judge the length of a particular trip due to changeable traffic or weather conditions
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months. Orientation and animal training will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9915 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or APPLY NOW below.