Please note: Volunteers must be 16 years of age or over due to Public Liability Insurance requirements.
What to expect
This position is pivotal to our Customer Service Team at the Animal Care Campus at Wacol. The role is based in the main public area of the campus and you will be required to handle all enquiries from visitors, including those relating to surrenders and strays, lost and found, directing people to find staff members, puppy and dog training, general enquiries as well as adoption enquiries. Initially, in this role you will welcome customers to the campus, providing support and advice to those who wish to adopt. As your experience grows, you will progress to an adoption counselling role, in which you will introduce customers to their potential new family members, managing and observing the interaction. This role will suit people who have exceptional “people skills” and an affinity for animals. They will be confident and proactive in meeting people, but will also be sensitive to their particular situation.
What are the benefits?
- The personal satisfaction of helping animals to find their ‘furever’ homes
- Time to play and interact with the animals in your care
- Opportunity to gain new skills or further develop existing customer service skills
- Experience with data entry and administration tasks
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
The position includes:
- Meeting and greeting customers and directing them accordingly, providing additional support for customers wishing to adopt
- Addressing general enquiries from visitors to the campus, including those relating to surrenders/strays, puppy and dog training as well as adoption enquiries
- Creating a comfortable dialogue in which customers are willing to confide and openly discuss their situation and their reasons for adopting
- Assessing the suitability of applicants and their levels of awareness about the adoptions process and the responsibilities of animal ownership
- Reading and interpreting the animal behaviour assessment data and applying it to the specific customers’ situation who are wishing to surrender or adopt the animal
- Managing interactions between customers and animals, with attention to the safety of all parties
- Assisting with adoption paperwork and data entry
- Reception and administrative tasks as required
- Providing enrichment to adoption animals by playing and spending time with them and providing opportunities to interact with other animals and people where appropriate
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Confidence in working with all types of animals and dealing with the general public
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to think on your feet and learn on the job
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills
- Empathy, patience and the ability to listen carefully
- Outstanding customer service skills, driven by empathy and understanding
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and able to stand for long periods
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Able to take initiative, and make decisions independently
When can I volunteer?
The shifts are four hours in duration, Monday to Sunday, and will be scheduled based on the needs of the Customer Experience Centre.
- 10-2pm (Thursday - Friday - Saturday - Sunday)
- 11-3pm (Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday - Friday - Saturday - Sunday)
- 2-6pm (Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday - Friday - Saturday - Sunday)
- You will be required to attend an orientation session followed by a Customer Service training session
We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals. Orientation and animal training will be provided.
Where can I volunteer?
- This role is based at our Wacol Animal Care Campus in Brisbane.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30.
For further information, please contact our Customer Experience Volunteer Coordinator on 07 3258 5689 or email@example.com, or APPLY NOW below.APPLY NOW