RSPCA Op Shops make a real difference, with all store proceeds going straight back to helping RSPCA animals in need. As a not for profit organisation, we rely on the support of the staff, volunteers, customers and community to be sustainable. Our op shop teams play an important role in contributing to the success of the RSPCA by helping to raise 20% of RSPCA Qld’s annual income.
What to expect
As a Volunteer Op Shop assistant, you will be expected to assist with customer service, point of sales operations, merchandising, sorting, and undertaking general op shop duties. The duties of this position can vary depending on your skills, interests and enthusiasm. It offers hands-on experience with a great team while also helping to raise funds for a very worthwhile cause.
What are the benefits?
- Opportunity to gain retail, merchandising, customer services, basic accounting and community fundraising skills and experience.
- Develop on your interests in preloved items, collector items, vintage, homewares and fashion
- Great opportunity to learn about the care and health requirements of domestic animals
- Work in a friendly team, build on your confidence and meet new people.
- 10% volunteer discounts throughout RSPCA retail stores.
- Participate in fun promotions and events such as RSPCA’s Cupcake Day.
- Donate your spare time to a worthy cause that helps thousands of lives each year.
What are the tasks?
- Assist customers to find the perfect preloved fashion item, unique gift or other purchase while always expressing thanks for supporting RSPCA.
- Merchandising and presenting op shop stock including fashion, homewares and furniture items.
- Accept donations and thanking donors for supporting the RSPCA.
- The daily cleaning of animals' pens, providing enrichment to animals in care and following RSPCA's philosophy of positive reinforcement with all animal interactions.
- Sorting, hanging and tagging stock.
- Cash handling, using an EFTPOS machine and cash register.
- Promoting and talking to customers about current RSPCA Qld and Op Shop promotions and events.
- Represent the RSPCA Qld Op Shop team and brand through your passion for animal welfare and op shopping.
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Friendly, positive and enthusiastic
- Confidence in working with domestic animals and/or willingness to learn more about how to work with animals
- The ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
- Good communication skills and ability to follow directions.
- Physically fit and able to lift 10kg.
When can I volunteer?
The successful applicant will attend at least one shift per week. Shifts are available Monday - Friday 9am - 1pm, 12pm - 4pm or 9am - 4pm (all day shift).
All applicants must be available for a minimum of 3 months. Full orientation and training is provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. Some locations will require you to have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator on 07 3426 9903 or email@example.com, or APPLY NOW below.