What to expect
RSPCA Queensland believes that the most powerful way to change people’s attitudes and behaviours towards animals is through humane education. Humane education is about fostering kindness and respect for animals, people and the environment through empathy. This role entails supervising participants while other staff and volunteers provide content. Presenting of content relevant to animal care and welfare will also form part of this role. The education programs run during school holidays, (afternoons & weekend programs in development) to participants aged 10 to 15 at the RSPCA Wacol ACC. Availability of some time during lead up weeks or when the program is advertised would be required. There will be opportunities in delivering education lessons to children of various ages or guiding tours of the Wacol Campus for those interested.
What are the benefits?
- Knowledge, or ability to gain knowledge, of RSPCA Humane Education Volunteer Policies and Procedures, campaigns and appropriate lesson plans.
- Have the satisfaction of using your valuable skills and experience to support the RSPCA and to give back to the community
- Gain supervising experience of young people
- Be part of a great team of people
- Opportunity to learn new and valuable skills in a professional environment
What are the tasks?
- Delivery and supervision of participants during school holiday programs
- Co-ordinate program attendees. Booking enquiries and completion of appropriate paperwork.
- Provide accurate data entry into databases, itineraries, calendars, Excel and Word spread sheets.
- Working alongside the Senior Education Officer, assist in the expansion of the reach and scope of the programs through cost effective use of volunteer resources
- Maintain resources used during the various programs
- Liaise with departmental staff regarding availability and requirements of all on-site programs.
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Excellent communication skills that encompass interdepartmental staff & volunteers, as well as student participants
- Excellent administration, planning and organisation skills
- Able to meet deadlines
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Enjoy working in a team environment
When can I volunteer?
- Orientation + Pre-program training of 2 hours duration
- Shadow part or all of the next program 7th – 11th January 2019
It is essential that all volunteers within the Humane Education Department hold a current, valid blue card before conducting lessons. Volunteers who do not hold a valid blue card must be willing to obtain one. All volunteers must notify the RSPCA Humane Education Department when their blue card is expired, renewed or cancelled.
As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30.
It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9915 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or APPLY NOW below.