What to expect
This rewarding volunteer role would suit applicants that love animals and are committed to improving their welfare. In this role you will not be undertaking any grooming yourself, however will be assisting an experienced groomer to handle, bathe, blow dry and walk dogs in a force free environment. This is an excellent role for people who are looking for initial exposure to the grooming industry.
What are the benefits?
- Lots of hands-on contact with dogs
- Great opportunity to learn about grooming techniques
- Training in animal handling and product training
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
The position is hands-on and includes:
- Hydro-bathing and blow-drying dogs
- Assisting the groomer in handling dogs
- Ensuring the grooming room is presentable and tidy at all times
- Cleaning the hydrobath and pens throughout the day
- Taking the dogs on toilet walks
- General laundry duties are part of each shift, including washing, drying and folding of clean items
- Following RSPCA philosophy of positive reinforcement with all animal interactions
- Please note that this is an assistant role and as such you will not be undertaking any actual grooming
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Willing to undertake a hands-on role with animals
- Confident with dog breeds of all sizes
- Ability to work within a close-knit team and autonomously
- Good customer service skills, and patience
- Able to cope with increased noise levels
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and able to stand for long periods
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Hard working and committed to the RSPCA
When can I volunteer?
- We have vacancies at present during the following times: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9.00am - 12.30pm,
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals. Orientation and training in relation to animal interaction, training and husbandry will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3258 5627 or email@example.com, or APPLY NOW below.