What to expect
RSPCA Queensland believes that the most powerful way to change people’s attitudes and behaviours towards animals is through humane education. Humane education is about fostering kindness and respect for animals, people and the environment through empathy. If you are a confident public speaker, and passionate about animal welfare and education, this Volunteer Education Assistant role could be for you. In this role, you will be responsible for visiting schools or community groups to deliver presentations on a wide range of animal-related topics. Students and adults can also benefit from our humane education programs, with lessons tailored to suit the needs, interests and skill levels of any group. This is a flexible role as visits are not regular but scheduled based on demand from schools, making it ideal for students looking to fulfil a passion for volunteering in animal welfare through education.
What are the benefits?
- Knowledge, or ability to gain knowledge, of RSPCA Humane Education Volunteer Policies and Procedures, campaigns and appropriate lesson plans
- Experience in delivering lessons in a variety of classroom situations.
- Knowing you are increasing the chances of animals finding their forever homes
- Gaining an understanding of RSPCA Community Outreach Program
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
- Conduct RSPCA visits to schools, kindergartens or community groups, to deliver age-appropriate standardised lessons, sometimes delivering the same lesson up to three times in one session. The maximum timeframe for a visit is 80 minutes
- Lessons cover a range of animal welfare related subject matter but all aim to develop empathy, kindness, respect, and responsibility towards animals and people.
- Volunteer Education Assistants independently represent the RSPCA in the community rather than working alongside RSPCA staff. Liaise and communicate with the RSPCA education unit online.
- Help out at the Mackay Adoption Centre if any community groups book in for a visit.
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- It is essential that all volunteers within the Humane Education Department hold a current, valid blue card before conducting lessons. Volunteers who do not hold a valid blue card must be willing to obtain one. All volunteers must notify the RSPCA Humane Education Department when their blue card has expired or is renewed or cancelled.
- Willingness to promote and adhere to RSPCA policy and campaigns.
- Flexible availability is a key aspect of the role.
- Confident internet user.
- A passion for animal welfare and education, with excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
When can I volunteer?
- You must be available at least one day between Monday and Friday 9am – 3pm
- You will need your own transport and be willing to travel up to 25 km for visits
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $25. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Mackay Volunteer Program Support Team on firstname.lastname@example.org, or APPLY NOW below.