What to expect
This position is pivotal to our Customer Service and Adoptions Team. In this role you will be required to handle enquiries from visitors, including lost and found, directing people to staff members, general enquiries as well as adoption enquiries. Initially you will welcome customers to the centre, providing support and advice to those who wish to adopt. As your experience grows, you will progress to an adoption counselling role, in which you will introduce customers to their potential new family members, managing and observing the interaction. This role will suit people who have exceptional “people skills” and an affinity for animals. They will be confident and proactive in meeting people, but will also be sensitive to their particular situation.
What are the benefits?
- The personal satisfaction of helping animals to find their ‘furever’ homes
- Time to play and interact with the animals in your care
- Opportunity to gain new skills or further develop existing customer service skills
- Experience with data entry and administration tasks
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
The position includes:
- Meeting and greeting customers and directing them accordingly, providing additional support for customers wishing to adopt
- Addressing general enquiries from visitors to the centre, including those relating to surrenders/strays and adoption enquiries
- Creating a comfortable dialogue in which customers are willing to confide and openly discuss their situation and their reasons for adopting
- Assessing the suitability of applicants and their levels of awareness about the adoptions process and the responsibilities of animal ownership
- Reading and interpreting the animal behaviour assessment data and applying it to the specific customers’ situation who are wishing to surrender or adopt the animal
- Managing interactions between customers and animals, with attention to the safety of all parties
- Assisting with adoption paperwork and data entry
- Reception and administrative tasks as required
- Providing enrichment to adoption animals by playing and spending time with them and providing opportunities to interact with other animals and people where appropriate
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Confidence in working with animals and dealing with the general public
- Ability to think on your feet and learn on the job
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills
- Empathy, patience and the ability to listen carefully
- Outstanding customer service skills, driven by empathy and understanding
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and able to stand for long periods
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Able to take initiative, and work and make decisions independently
When can I volunteer?
- Monday to Friday 10am-2pm, 1pm-5pm
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals. Orientation and animal training will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
Contact our Ipswich Volunteer Program Support Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or APPLY NOW below.APPLY NOW