What to expect
Do you have creative flair and skills in writing? Would you like to use your creative talents to help our animals be adopted? This rewarding volunteer role is an opportunity for someone is looking for an opportunity to learn and develop their creative writing skills. You will have the opportunity to interact with a variety of animals in this role.
What are the benefits?
- Opportunity to gain new skills or further experience in working with animals
- The satisfaction of knowing your skills have helped an animal advertised for adoption to find a new home
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
- Liaising with the Manager or working from a generated list of animals, to produce creative, compelling profiles for each of the animals.
- Spending time with animals awaiting adoption to understand their personalities, any special needs and what special characteristics they display
- Editing profiles and adoptions summaries to upload onto RSPCA computers for display on the adopt-a-pet website
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- High levels of patience and a willingness to learn
- Some animal handling experience an advantage
- Current or previous pet owner who understands the types of things adoptive parents will want to know
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Self-directed with good time management skills
- Empathy for animals
- Understanding of the physical responsibilities of and reasons for pet ownership
- Some knowledge of dog and cat breeds an advantage
Creative Writer skills and characteristics
- Professional writing experience
- Demonstrated clear and creative writing skills; a degree in Communications or similar an advantage
- Ability to recognise ‘a good story’
- Able to see that ‘something special’ in an animal that might win someone’s heart
- Creating web content to a defined standard and within required deadlines that is not repetitive and which truly describes the key and compelling traits of the animal available for adoption
When can I volunteer?
- Tuesday or Thursday, hours are flexible. Please state your availability in the application form
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months. Orientation and animal training will be required.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
Contact our Toowoomba Volunteer Program Support Team on 07 4634 1304 or email@example.com, or APPLY NOW below.APPLY NOW