What to expect
This rewarding volunteer role would suit applicants who are passionate about animals and dedicated to improving their welfare. RSPCA is currently in need of people who would like to use their valuable life skills and time to take incoming calls and perform administrative tasks in our busy call centre. In this role you will take part in call centre training which covers the RSPCA computer and telephone systems. This training will enable you to respond to enquiries about animal adoptions and help reunite lost and found animals with their owners. You may also be trained to dispatch ambulances to injured animals, take cruelty complaints, answer general enquiries, respond to emails and perform data entry tasks.
“I can still remember my first day as a call centre volunteer at the RSPCA. I was very nervous to enter a new work environment and terrified that I would be put on calls on the first day! Luckily this didn’t happen, and instead I was made to feel at ease straight away. The team is incredibly friendly and willing to help you with any problems you may have. After all, as a volunteer you are a tremendous help to the team! I have also been taught a lot of useful skills, such as call control, data entry, dispatching and general administration. The call centre receives thousands of calls each week so you can be certain that your work in the call centre helps to save lives every day. I have been at the RSPCA now for over a year and I am still excited to volunteer every week and do my bit to help save animals’ lives.”
– Emma, Volunteer at RSPCA Wacol.
What are the benefits?
- Have the satisfaction of using your valuable people, telephone, computer and problem-solving skills to give back to the community
- Be part of a great team of people that have one thing in common – an affinity with animals
- Opportunity to learn new and valuable skills in a professional, high-energy call centre environment
What are the tasks?
The position may include:
- Answering incoming calls from a number of diverse call queues including general enquiries, lost and found, wildlife, animal emergencies, cruelty complaints etc
- Providing exceptional customer service at all times
- Using the RSPCA systems and resources to help find lost animals and reunite them with their owners
- Answering in detail enquiries regarding animals available for adoption, including helping people understand their suitability for their situation, the adoption process, costs and what to bring when visiting the campus
- Acquiring details to dispatch ambulances to assist injured animals
- Answering questions about animal welfare and the work done by the RSPCA, and actively promoting RSPCA principles and ideas
- Processing donations and payments for goods and services
- Downloading messages from the telephone system and transcribing them to the intranet for follow up
- Answering emails from a number of inboxes on a range of topics eg lost and found, administration etc
- Maintaining and updating accurate records on our internal database
- Ad hoc administrative duties as directed eg printing and collating documents, writing descriptions for animals available for adoption, ensuring the general tidiness of the call centre area etc
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Excellent administration and organisation skills
- Able to learn new tasks quickly
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Enjoy working in a team environment
When can I volunteer?
- The shifts are four hours in duration, Monday to Sunday, and will be scheduled based on the needs of the call centre. At this time we are only recruiting volunteer for the following time slots;
- 9am-1pm (Saturdays and Sundays only)
- 1pm-5pm (any day)
- 5pm-9pm (any day)
We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months. Orientation and training will be required. For those who would like to volunteer on weekends - you will also need to attend a weekday training session.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $25. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Customer Experience Volunteer Coordinator on 3258 5689 or email@example.com, or APPLY NOW below.APPLY NOW