What to expect
This position is pivotal to our Adoptions Team at the World for Pets Springwood store. Over the past year, 29,076 animals were re-united and re-homed by members of the community who have opened their hearts and homes to our amazing animals. Initially, in this role you will welcome customers to the store, providing support and advice to those who wish to adopt. As your experience grows, you will progress to a counselling role, in which you will introduce customers to their potential new family members, managing and observing the interaction. This role will suit people who have exceptional “people skills” and an affinity for animals. They will be confident and proactive in meeting people, but will also be sensitive to their particular situation.
What are the benefits?
- The personal satisfaction of helping animals to find their ‘furever’ homes
- Time to play and interact with the animals in your care
- Opportunity to gain new skills or further develop existing customer service skills
- Experience with data entry and administration tasks
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
The position includes:
- Meeting and greeting customers and directing them accordingly, providing additional support for customers wishing to adopt
- Undertaking the responsible care and management of animals in the store, including providing enrichment opportunities, cleaning enclosures and ensuring access to fresh water and food
- Creating a comfortable dialogue in which customers are willing to confide and openly discuss their situation and their reasons for adopting
- Assessing the suitability of applicants and their levels of awareness about the adoptions process and the responsibilities of animal ownership
- Educating customers in the responsibilities of animal ownership and the adoption process as required
- Reading and interpreting the animal behaviour assessment data and applying it to the specific customers’ situation who are wishing to adopt the animal
- Managing interactions between customers and animals, with attention to the safety of all parties
- Assisting with adoption paperwork, data entry and general cleaning duties as directed
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Confidence in working with animals and dealing with the general public
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills
- Confident in using computers
- Empathy, patience and the ability to listen carefully
- Outstanding customer service skills, driven by empathy and understanding
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and able to stand for long periods
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Able to work and make decisions independently
Please note: due to the level of supervision and at times confronting nature of this role, you must be at least 18 years of age to volunteer.
When can I volunteer?
- Various vacancies from 9am-1pm and 1pm-5pm across the week.
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals. Orientation and animal training will be provided.
Where can I volunteer?
- This role is based at our World For Pets store in Springwood
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9915 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or APPLY NOW below.APPLY NOW