What to expect
This rewarding role would suit applicants who are passionate about Australian wildlife and dedicated to improving their welfare, who are outgoing and enjoy meeting new people, and have great computer and administration skills. In this role you will provide vital help to all creatures great and small by being the ‘face’ of the RSPCA Eumundi Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, greeting people as they bring animals in, entering critical data onto the RSPCA systems, answering telephone calls from wildlife carers, local vet surgeries and other RSPCA departments, and other general administrative tasks as required.
Please note: In this role, you will be the first point of call for members of the public, staff and volunteers bringing in injured or deceased wildlife. As such you will need to possess a certain level of resilience when handling these situations.
What are the benefits?
- Opportunity to gain skills and experience with various administration responsibilities and further develop your customer service skills
- Experience in the day to day operations of a busy Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, including the opportunity to get an up-close look at a wide range of species from common animals to endangered species
- Learning more about Australian wildlife, including learning species ID techniques and natural behaviours
- Being part of a team of enthusiastic, hardworking individuals who will support you in learning new skills
What are the tasks?
- Greeting members of the public and registered wildlife carers as they bring animals into the centre
- Recording the details of incoming and outgoing animals
- Assisting staff with animal handling as required
- Ensuring the reception waiting area and consult rooms are kept clean and tidy at all times
- Liaising with wildlife carers regarding the placement of injured/juvenile animals, birds and reptiles
- Answering general telephone enquiries
- Other data entry tasks and general duties as required
- Assisting in other areas of the hospital if reception tasks are up to date
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Previous experience in an animal handling role or animal environment (e.g. vet nurse) is highly recommended
- Confident, friendly nature and positive in meeting new people and making them feel welcome
- Prepared to be involved in some delicate and sometimes challenging situations
- Reliable, with the ability to work independently , take initiative and multitask
- Computer literate with a good knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Willingness to learn handling techniques and housing requirements for incoming animals
When can I volunteer?Our current vacancies are:
- Saturday 8am - 12pm, or 12pm - 4pm
- Sunday 8am - 12pm, or 12pm - 4pm
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months. Orientation and animal training will be required.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9903 or email@example.com, or APPLY NOW below.APPLY NOW