What to expect
If you are a devoted advocate of animal welfare and are passionate about helping our animals find their furever families - we want you! This is a new and exciting opportunity to promote our adoptable animals away from the shelter environment. As a RSPCA Sit, Drop, Shop Volunteer consultant, you will providing support and advice to those entering our store - whether they are looking to adopt, enrich the lives of their furry family members or want to be involved in our community. This role will suit someone that can build great rapport with others, as well as having an exceptional sense of people, animals and their behaviour.
What are the benefits?
- Helping our animals find their furever homes
- Time to interact with the animals in your care
- Opportunity to gain skills in customer service, retail and merchandising
- Being a valuable part of a great community
What are the tasks?
- Greeting customers, directing them accordingly and providing support to those wishing to adopt or purchase products
- Assessing the suitability of adoption applicants and educating them on the responsibilities of animal ownership
- Managing customer and animal interactions, ensuring the safety of all parties
- Undertaking the responsible care and management of animals in the store - ensuring the animal has access to enrichment opportunities, food, water and a clean environment
- General cleaning of store
- Sorting and pricing stock
- Ensuring stock is displayed in an organised manner
- Processing payments using a cash register and eftpos machine
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Willing to learn the RSPCA approach to handling animals
- Confidence with animals
- Outstanding customer service skills driven by empathy and understanding
- Confidence in using computers and handling cash
- Attention to detail and ability to to accurately follow instructions
- Physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and ability to stand for long periods
- Ability to obtain a blue card
Please note: due to the level of supervision and at times confronting nature of this role, you must be at least 18 years of age to volunteer.
When can I volunteer?
- We have vacancies across the week, from Monday to Friday, 9am - 2.00pm or 1.30pm - 6.30pm
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 shift per week for 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals.
- Orientation and all training (including animal and administration) will be provided
Where can I volunteer?
- This role is based at our Sit Drop Shop store at DFO Jindalee.
For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9915 or email@example.com, or APPLY NOW below.