What to expect
This rewarding volunteer role involves assisting our Creative Team by handling the animals in need of promotion so they can find their forever homes or be reunited with their owners. In this position you will be taking animals to and from their pens and assisting our Creative Team as needed to get the right pose/photo/footage. This is an opportunity for someone who likes working collaboratively in a close-knit team and has good animal handling skills. You will be required to interact with a variety of animals (including cats and BIG dogs!), birds and reptiles in this role.
What are the benefits?
• Opportunity to gain new creative skills and further experience in working with animals
• The satisfaction of knowing your skills have helped an animal advertised for adoption to find a new home or be reunited with its owner
• Becoming part of a friendly new team
• Interaction with our animals, and a positive feeling every time you see an animal that was advertised on the web be adopted out to a new home!
What are the tasks?
• Liaising with your manager or working from the generated list, to co-ordinate with the Creative Team as needed to get the right pose/photo/footage
• Collecting the animals to be photographed from their area on campus, and returning them when finished.
• Spending time with animals awaiting adoption to understand their personalities, any special needs and what special characteristics they display
• Setting up the environment for photographs or video using props etc as appropriate
• Preparing the animal as required eg dressing in bandanna, t-shirt, tie etc
• Encouraging the animals using basic training and positive reinforcement to capture them in an attractive pose
• Cleaning and picking up after your animal if it goes to the toilet
What skills and characteristics do I need?
• High levels of patience and a willingness to learn
• Some creativity and ability to support the team in showcasing the animals in the best possible way to increase their chances of adoption
• Some animal handling experience an advantage
• Current or previous pet owner who understands the types of things adoptive parents will want to know
• Enjoy working in a team environment
• Self-directed with good time management skills
• Empathy for animals
• Understanding of the physical responsibilities of and reasons for pet ownership
• Some knowledge of dog and cat breeds an advantage
When can I volunteer?
• Monday through to Friday 9am - 1pm (vacancies vary)
• We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months.
Orientation and animal training will be required.
Where can I volunteer?
• This role is based at our Wacol Animal Care Campus in Brisbane.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9915 or email@example.com, or APPLY NOW below.