What to expect
At RSPCA Queensland we are committed to doing everything we can to find homes for the 44,000+ animals who walk through our doors each year. We understand that it’s not always possible for people to visit one of our shelters, so we have launched a number of Community Engagement programs to make adoption more accessible. Our Community Engagement volunteers are integral to the success of these programs, and are essential to their facilitation. In this role you will assist in RSPCA offsite Adoption Pop-Ups at local markets and events, where you will engage with the public on animal welfare issues and facilitate adoption. A variety of different responsibilities are available under this role including team management, animal handling and customer service. We are looking for individuals who are passionate about animal welfare and are committed to finding our furry friend’s forever homes. The person who undertakes this role must work well in a team environment and have great interpersonal skills.
What are the benefits?
- The personal satisfaction of helping animals find their furever homes
- Creating awareness of important animal welfare issues
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
- Gaining an understanding of RSPCA Community Engagement Programs
- Opportunity to improve interpersonal and teamwork skills
What are the tasks?
- Speaking to members of the public to answer general enquiries and increase animals chances of adoption
- Setting up and packing away the stall
- Maintaining general presentation
- Customer service
- Cash handling
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Great interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organisational and management skills
- Good understanding of RSPCA’s mission and stance on animal welfare issues
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and comfortable in a wide variety of outdoor situations
- Bright and fun approach to events
- Willingness to cuddle ridiculously cute animals
Please note: due to the level of supervision and at times confronting nature of this role, you must be at least 18 years of age to volunteer.
When can I volunteer?
- Most of the events are held on weekends during the day
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per fortnight for a minimum of 3 months. Orientation and animal training will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9915 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or APPLY NOW below.