What to expect
At RSPCA Queensland we are committed to doing everything we can to find homes for the 44,000+ animals who walk through our doors each year. We understand that it’s not always possible for people to visit one of our shelters, so we have launched a number of Community Activation programs to make adoption more accessible. Our Community Activation volunteers are integral to the success of these programs and are essential to their facilitation. In this role you will assist in RSPCA offsite Adoption Pop-Ups at local markets and events. Your main responsibilities will include ensuring the safe collection and transportation of adoption animals to and from events, managing the animal’s behavior and wellbeing during events and customer service activities. We are looking for individuals who are passionate about animal welfare and are committed to finding our furry friends their forever homes. The person who undertakes this role must work well in teams, have great interpersonal skills, and have a valid open driver’s licence.
What are the benefits?
- The personal satisfaction of helping animals find their furever homes
- Creating awareness of important animal welfare issues
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
- Gaining an understanding of RSPCA Community Activation Programs
- Opportunity to improve interpersonal and teamwork skills
What are the tasks?
- Working with other volunteers to facilitate offsite Pop-Up events
- Collecting and transporting adoption animals to and from offsite locations
- Ensuring the wellbeing of adoption animals behavior and health during events
- Speaking to members of the public to answer general enquires and increase awareness of the adoptions and RSPCAs many activities
- Setting up and packing away the stall
- Maintaining general presentation
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- A clean driving history and clean valid driver’s license
- Great interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and management skills
- Good understanding of RSPCA’s mission and stance on animal welfare issues
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and comfortable in a wide variety of outdoor situations
When can I volunteer?
- During the week, 9am-12pm (with some flexibility)
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per fortnight for a minimum of 3 months. Orientation and animal training will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9915 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or APPLY NOW below.